The 43rd annual LHS Summer Marimba Seminar will take place June 6-17, 2022. Percussionists college-aged and older are invited to join us for 10 days of study with marimba virtuoso and pioneer Leigh Howard Stevens. The LHS Seminar will cover a wide variety of topics, including: technique, memorization systems, tone production, repertoire, acoustics, practice techniques, career development, history and more! This year’s guest artist roster is still being finalized, but here’s a sampling of who has presented in recent years.
- Michael Burritt (Professor of Percussion, Eastman School of Music)
- Escape X (Annie Stevens (Virginia Tech) and Andrea Venet (University of North Florida))
- Stefon Harris (Vibraphonist, Rutgers University-Newark)
- Cameron Leach (Percussion Soloist)
- Tony Miceli (Vibraphonist, vibesworkshop.com)
- Valerie Naranjo (Saturday Night Live, Broadway’s The Lion King)
- John Parks (Professor, Recording Guru, Florida State University)
- Ivan Trevino (Percussionist/Educator)
- Aaron Williams (Multi-Instrumentalist, Influencer)
In 2022, the LHS Seminar will be hybrid, as all sessions will be presented in-person to a limited group in New Jersey, as well as streamed through the Zoom videoconferencing platform.
The 2022 LHS Seminar includes
- 20-25 hours of class time with Leigh Howard Stevens
- Clinics with our special guest presenters
- The LHS Seminar Supplemental Material (A 250-page PDF with additional articles and resources, to be emailed to attendees prior to the start of the Seminar)
- A tour of the Malletech factory
Seminar Pricing and Requirements
- $1000: Now until March 15, 2022
- $1100: March 16 – April 15, 2022
- $1200: April 16, 2022 or later
- $500: Now until March 15, 2022
- $600: March 16 – April 15, 2022
- $700: April 16, 2022 or later
Tuition may be made payable to “Leigh Howard Stevens” and sent via U.S. Mail to
LHS Summer Seminar
PO Box 467
Asbury Park, NJ 07712 USA
Payment may also be made via Paypal; email email@example.com for more information.
*Tuition only covers the cost of the educational sessions by LHS and his guest artists. Travel, lodging, meals and other ancillary expenses are not covered by tuition and are the responsibility of the student. The LHS Seminar is currently in negotiations with a local hotel on reserving a block of rooms for students at a discounted rate, more details to come.
- Perform in masterclass for Leigh Howard Stevens. (approx. 30-45 min.) – $100
If selecting this option as a virtual attendee, the lesson will be based on a pre-recorded performance uploaded on a private YouTube link.
All students attending the LHS Seminar in-person must show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
“Vaccinated” means on the start date of the LHS Seminar, a student is at least 14 days after their second dose of a two dose COVID-19 vaccine OR at least 14 days after their single dose of an approved single dose COVID-19 vaccine.
Proof of vaccination must come directly from the healthcare provider that performed the vaccination. Guests may display proof on a smartphone or present a physical copy. New Jersey residents, or anyone who received a COVID-19 vaccine in New Jersey, may present proof through the use of the Docket app.
*A copy of LHS’ Method of Movement, Six Suites For Marimba, (for all students) and a computer with the Zoom videoconferencing software and reliable internet connection (for virtual students) is required.